Waste Management of Selected Hospitals

Abstract / Excerpt:

Waste management of nine selected hospitals in Davao City was observed from April to August 2005. Four aspets of hospital waste management were considered, namely: (1) collection, (2) transport (3) treatment, and (4) disposal of waste. It was noted that the quantity of hospital waste generated in Davao City varied depending on the hospital policies and practices in waste management. About 89% of waste generated by the selected hospitals was comparable to domestic waste, while the remaining 11% was special waste or waste which needed special handling and treatment before final disposal. It was observed that many hospitals in Davao City mixed the waste generated. These wastes were collected, transported, and finally disposed of collectively. As a result of this failure to establish and follow segregation protocols, the waste leaving hospitals, as a whole, was both potentially infectious and potentially hazardous. Most hospitals viewed the lack of appropriate technologies for treatment and disposal of hospital waste as their greatest problem in hospital waste management. It is recommended then that hospitals strictly implement waste segregation policies. Hospital workers should also be given proper education and training in safe and efficient waste management. With the help of the local government, hospitals could also invest in environmentally sound and cost effective medical waste treatment and disposal technologies.

Full Text

Waste management of nine selected hospitals in Davao City was observed from April to August 2005. Four aspets of hospital waste management were considered, namely: (1) collection, (2) transport (3) treatment, and (4) disposal of waste. It was noted that the quantity of hospital waste generated in Davao City varied depending on the hospital policies and practices in waste management. About 89% of waste generated by the selected hospitals was comparable to domestic waste, while the remaining 11% was special waste or waste which needed special handling and treatment before final disposal. It was observed that many hospitals in Davao City mixed the waste generated. These wastes were collected, transported, and finally disposed of collectively. As a result of this failure to establish and follow segregation protocols, the waste leaving hospitals, as a whole, was both potentially infectious and potentially hazardous. Most hospitals viewed the lack of appropriate technologies for treatment and disposal of hospital waste as their greatest problem in hospital waste management. It is recommended then that hospitals strictly implement waste segregation policies. Hospital workers should also be given proper education and training in safe and efficient waste management. With the help of the local government, hospitals could also invest in environmentally sound and cost effective medical waste treatment and disposal technologies.

Info
Source JournalAgham Mindanaw
Journal VolumeAgham Mindanaw Vol. 3
AuthorsKarina G. Naranjo
Page Count9
Place of PublicationDavao City
Original Publication DateJanuary 1, 2006
Tags
Preview

Download the PDF file .